What we do
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) works worldwide to provide humanitarian assistance to people affected by conflict and armed violence. We take action in response to emergencies and at the same time promote respect for international humanitarian law. We are an independent and neutral organization, and our mandate stems essentially from the Geneva Conventions of 1949. We work closely with National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies and with their International Federation in order to ensure a concerted, rational and rapid humanitarian response to the needs of the victims of armed conflict or any other situation of internal violence. We direct and coordinate the international activities conducted in these situations.
The Individual Giving Officer is responsible for various direct marketing project/program execution tasks and will play an active role in developing high-quality fundraising products, support the team with project management capabilities for the development of the direct marketing material, with the ultimate goal for the Fundraising Team for Switzerland to increase the number of new donors and build engagement, loyalty and value with individual supporters. These products may also be used by other members of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.
- Understands and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.
- Understands and adheres to the ICRC Code of Conduct.
- Understands the roles of the components of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.
- Respects and observes staff regulations and security rules at all times.
- Represents the ICRC in a professional manner at all times.
- Develops and maintains a pleasant and conducive working environment with colleagues and line managers.
- Performs all duties with the highest level of confidentiality in the interest of the employees and the ICRC.
- May be asked to perform tasks not covered in this job description and to provide support to other departments when necessary.
Accountabilities & Functional responsibilities
- Implements programs and projects to help the Fundraising Team for Switzerland achieve its objectives :
- Project Management: supports and assists the team with forward planning, updating status, and workflow processes. Ensure the projects’ workflows are managed in an efficient and effective way to ensure timely deliverables for our direct marketing program.
- Develops strong connections with the different stakeholders involved in the projects (including internal stakeholders (notably the Donor care team (IDC), the communication team) as well as external ones such as design agencies, printing houses).
- Supports fundraising activities in order to acquire and cultivate donors, specifically:
- Develops and implements Fundraising and communication strategies and plans of action for direct marketing according to the results and learnings from previous campaigns, financial and humanitarian needs and supporter behavior in close collaboration with the Individual Giving Manager.
- Supports the creation and circulation of the donor magazine (copywriting, validation, editing, translation).
- Provides support on fundraising administrative procedures and back-office tasks:
- Setups and runs kick-off meetings, ensuring clear and validated action/plan and keeping track of the progress of the project.
- Prepares fundraising appeals (including an integrated campaign for acquisition) :
- Develops and coordinates, within the ICRC and with external communication agencies, direct marketing tools and products for various channels, such as key messages, mailings, print products, out of home, audiovisual materials (i.e DRTV), digital assets, and telemarketing campaigns to increase the number of donors and overall revenue generated and strengthened loyalty.
- Creates marketing-oriented concepts relevant to specific audiences in cooperation with internal and external Stakeholders.
- Prepares and creates appeals in cases of emergencies.
- Develops relationships with various internal and external contact via networking and similar activities:
- Everyday management of the relationship with various internal stakeholders (in particular within the Resource Mobilization Division and with the Communication team) and external suppliers (i.e printer, creative agencies).
- Ensures industry standards and best practices are implemented and develops partnerships as needed.
- Tracks direct marketing results for the Swiss market to generate learnings and adapt future strategies and plans of action accordingly for future fundraising successes
- Provides inputs in unit’s planning and strategy (when relevant)
- Internally, interacts within Fundraising Team for Switzerland, the Fundraising Center of Expertise, the Donor Care Team, the Communication Team, and other relevant ICRC functions.
- Externally, interacts with donors, service providers, agencies, private sector contacts, National Societies working levels and other NGO's.
Certifications / Education required
- University degree in a relevant field.
- Fluent in German (mother tongue) and English. French an asset.
- Computer proficiency.
Professional experience required
- 6 to 9 years' overall professional experience.
- Minimum 4 years of experience in fundraising ideally for Swiss foundations / associations / NGO's.
- Project management capabilities and competencies.
- Experience in interacting and negotiating with suppliers / agencies and internal stakeholders.
- Good technical writing skills, preferably with prior experience as a communication professional, writer or researcher.
- Excellent writing skills in German required.
- Location: Geneva
- Type of contract: Long-term assignment
- Duration of assignment: open-ended
- Grade: B3
- Activity rate: 100%
- Estimated start date: 04/04/2022
- Application deadline: Sunday, the 23rd of January 2022
The ICRC values diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates.